Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Already Know I Love You by Billy Crystal

Book Summary
In this picture book, a grandfather shares his plans, hopes and love for his unborn grandchild. He talks of taking her to movies and ball games, teaching her new things, and sharing in her life.

My Thoughts
While I appreciate the strong bond and love that this grandfather feels for his grandchild, I have to wonder if perhaps his plans overstep his boundaries as a grandparent. I would recommend this book to any grandfather but I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. The words read nicely and the illustrations are dreamy which makes it a nice book for a grandfather to read to an infant. Toddlers on up would most likely not be interested enough to sit through it.

Library Usage
Leave this one for displaying on Father's Day and Grandparent's Day.

Journal Reviews
Kirkus Reviews, 2004 April #1
"Another celebrity author misses his audience. Picture-book readers will not identify with the adult perspective and the logic of activities, which has the child sliding into bases and later reverting to bouncing on Grandfather's knee. And the rhymes are just atrocious." Copyright Kirkus 2004 Kirkus/BPI Communications.All rights reserved.

PW Reviews, 2004 March #3
"Comedian Crystal's unabashedly sentimental poem to his first grandchild rather clumsily starts on the opening endpapers. The rhyming narrative that follows echoes this hypothetical tenor, as Sayles's softly focused, emotion-filled pastels reveal a devoted grandfather and a girl-as an infant, toddler and elementary schooler. The verse's rhythm and rhyme at times falter and several passages are awkward. Yet Crystal's name and the inherent appeal of his theme should put this in the spotlight on the grandparent/baby gift bookshelf." All ages. (Apr.) Copyright 2004 Reed Business Information.

No comments:

Post a Comment